Mitzvot, The Bible, and The Alef-Bet
The objectives of the Nursery – Grade 2 curricula are to infuse a love of being Jewish in a creative, hands-on, environment which brings the topics to life in an age-appropriate way.
Texts: Let’s discover the Bible, Let’s Discover the Alef-Bet, BJL Mitzvot
- Using the texts in the “Let’s Discover” Series by Behrman House, students will be establishing their own “mini-library” of Jewish topics.
- Students will understand the idea of mitzvot and be encouraged to perform Mitzvot and discuss.
- This class will learn bible stories, and understand that they come from our Torah. Students will learn the lessons behind the stories, and become familiar with our Patriarchs and Matriarchs.
- Students will continue to be introduced to the Alef Bet, and begin to understand the building blocks of the Hebrew language.
- Hebrew is integrated into the curriculum and used in an authentic way to demonstrate concepts, teach blessings, and introduce the mitzvot.
- Blessings will be practiced weekly, and as the students learn new letters, they will be encouraged to find these in the blessings.
- Music, art and creative, interactive learning will engage the second graders and involve them in holistic learning designed to help them pursue enduring understanding at an appropriate level.
- Feeding the Hungry
- Visiting the Sick
- Keeping the Earth
- Derech Eretz
- Welcoming Guests
- Guarding your Tongue
- Talmud Torah
- short kiddush
- Borei P’ree Ha’Aitz
- Shabbat candle blessing
- Chanukah blessings
- Oseh Shalom
- The Four Questions